Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010


I COULD DO THAT...

We heard yesterday of the extraordinary feat performed by the gentleman who took over two years to walk the entire 6,000 miles of the Amazon (4,000 miles of riverbank and another 2,000 going up and down hills, mountains and things) dodging snakes, scorpions, hostile natives and heaven knows what else en route. The fully paid up cynic in me leads me to question his sanity but I cannot question his courage, endurance and determination.
A little closer to home we also heard of yet another example of courage, endurance and determination by two friends who have finally finished walking the entire length of the South West Coast Path. Alex Elson and Sandra Fairchild began their 632 mile walk over ten years ago, starting from Minehead in Somerset. Shortly after setting out, Alex emigrated to New Zealand, but she promised Sandra that she would complete the walk, which she did with Sandra by returning each year for the next 13 years to do another section of the coast path.
Last month they finally reached the end of the walk at South Haven Point near Poole in Dorset. They had originally intended to complete about 10 or 12 miles each day and although it has taken them 13 years, in fact it was about 13 weeks of actual walking. Over the years, I have nibbled away at the south west coast path and next month we`ll be going back to Cornwall to do a few more bits. Now, I just know that I am more sensible than to even think of walking down the Amazon but I equally know that with a bit of forward planning, a few years to spare and a large support team, I might just manage to equal Alex and Sandra`s feat. Like Delia Smith, the SWCP is a national treasure and deserves to be explored in a leisurely and appreciative way. As I `do` leisurely quite well, I might just be up for it.
For much more on the south west coast path, see www.southwestcoastpath.com/

No comments: