Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011


TREAD CAREFULLY..

The distressing picture shows Matthew Popov recovering in Medway Hospital after being bitten by an adder in the nearby Riverside Country Park in Rainham.   Fortunately for Matthew, he made a full recovery but it was by any standard a deeply worrying incident for himself and his family.   Just shows what a bite from Britain`s only venemous snake can do.

Now I am well known for my absolute fear of snakes, ever since an incident on the heathland of my native Dorset when I was very young and I am the first to agree that my fear may be irrational.   But when I see pictures and read stories like this, it makes me wonder what we are doing by making adders a protected species in this country.

There are, of course, those who claim that snakes are really beautiful and that they have every right to be left in peace to slither this earth and those who make that claim may have a case.   But for me, if I had my way, I would not only de-protect them but also encourage a nationwide campaign to eradicate them from our shores.   I really don`t care if they become extinct or, for that matter, any other `species` that clearly has it in for us and would come out on top in any man v wild animal encounter.

A couple of years ago, we went to Woolacombe in North Devon for a Spring mini break and we got chatting to a couple on the beach, which is backed by extensive sand dunes.   We were warned not to go into the dunes as there were adders there and at this time of the year their venom is at its most potent.   So we didn`t.   Anyway, it`s a shame to miss out on this lovely Easter weather, but I`ll tread carefully and, just in case, I might just take my spade with me.   The fine might be worth it.

2 comments:

Wurzel said...

It's not the Year of the Snake is it? Similar story down here! http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8991217.Snake_attack__Nine_year_old_in_hospital/

Snopper said...

Could be, Wurz. Sorry but I just can`t see the logic of protecting a species that does this kind of thing. Off with their heads!!