Search This Blog

Sunday, May 01, 2011


....Me too!!   I can`t bring myself to face my neighbour Mr. Slightly, who has once again put the mockers on his beloved Gillingham FC by actually going to Priestfield Stadium yesterday to watch them lose 4-2 to lowly Macclesfield in a game the Gills could have done with winning to keep their play-off hopes alive.   I know how he feels, so I`ll just keep quiet and hope the Gills` form returns as Slightly must surely be speechless himself.

Our heroic, iconic pacy flanker went all the way to Walsall only to sit on Charlton`s bench and nurse his tweaky hamstring.   His Dad went too, so I expect they`re speechless as well, especially as Charlton`s dismal run of results under manager Chrissy (The Legend) Powell continued yesterday with a 2-0 defeat.

As for me, my speechlessnes stems from the fact that whilst the Saints were thumping Brentford 3-0 at Griffin Park, our arch rivals Huddersfield went to Brighton and won 3-2 with the last kick of the game.  Conspiracy theories are abounding but this result means that Saints go to Plymouth tomorrow in a game which each team needs to win - Saints to cement their automatic promotion bid; Plymouth to stave off relegation.   I think the best thing I can do is to remain speechless until there`s something to say.   Could be a while.

5 comments:

Slightly said...

Speechless just doesn't do it justice! Two 2-4 home defeats on the bounce against two teams who are threatening the trap-door, at least they were until they played us. Play-offs now just a very faint hope ...... and you know what hope does.
Before the game there was talk of Slightly returning to season-ticket holder status, which can surely only result in non-league football the following season. Despite that, the talk continues.
Saints will be safely tucked-up in the Championship come the weekend, even if not tomorrow given the good chance of 3 points and monster goal difference. I wish you all the best for the inevitable party on Saturday, I'm sure it'll be a great day. And I'm not tempting fate, but I know Snopper could never say such things, 'cos that would be when it's about your own religion.
As for gay-icon pacey-flanker, he's had a great season, being almost automatic selection throughout the season, good number of goals, couple of Man-of-the-match performances, interviews on Sky ......... Well done Waggie!
Last season we had what I predicted was a once-in-a-lifetime 'all in the same division'. Next season, we'll all, almost certainly, be in different divisions. How quickly things change!
Roll on next season.
Slightly (aka Mr Philisophical)

Anonymous said...

Well at least the traffic to Warsaw was kind to us. And the pacy flanker can take no credit for another loss for the legend! Perhaps if oxface chamberlain moves to the always the bridesmaid arsenal there could be an inviting opening... Maybe even return to season ticket holdership for snopper.

Snopper said...

Well, Slightly, I see the Gills have to travel to Chesterfield on the last day ofthe season. Miracles do happen, you know - just ask the Pope! As to your ST dilemma, look upon it as a therapeutical investment, giving you an outlet for your pent up aggression and emotional turmoil. If I were you, I wouldn`t hesitate. Go on - you know you want to.

The only reasons I don`t have an ST at St Mary`s any more is simply the distance involved and the fact that I`m an elderly pensioner struggling to survive on a fixed income. However, if as `Anonymous` suggests, Oxtail Chamberlain goes to the Arse and our pacy flanker gets snapped up by the Saints, I might change my mind. I just need to get today`s high tension events at Home Park out of the way first. NURSE!!!

Slightly said...

Congratulations Snopper, the fat lady has sung and the Saints have marched to the Championship. The official stats will of course tell us it's not mathematically certain yet, just an 18 goal swing required on the final day. Yes, let's imagine James Alexander Gordon on Saturday tea-time declaring:
Huddersfield 10, Brentford 0
Southampton 0, Walsall 8 ............
.....Urm, unlikely!
Let's hope that's the last time the Saints stoop down to the lower leagues, but maybe the Gills and pacy-flanker's outfit rise to meet them again one day.
Enjoy!

Snopper said...

Thanks, S. Much appreciated.....I normally shy away from tempting fate but even I can`t see us letting this one slip. Looking forward to the party on Saturday.