Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011


DOWN TO THE SEA..

Just over the ridge of the hill on the left of the photo is a small cottage where tomorrow Mrs. Snopper, Barney and I will take up residence for a week.   It`s a long way from home - about 290 miles according to the RAC - and as the picture suggests it`s a remote location far away in deepest Cornwall.   And I do mean deepest.

The nearest outpost of civilisation is the small fishing village of Portscatho, which according to the Visit Cornwall website  `has a good butchers as well as a grocery/off licence, pub and cafĂ©,` so we should be ok.  And yet I can`t escape the notion that we might be entering into unknown territory - certainly for us - and that we might discover a hidden treasure, where the old ways of life and the old traditions of Kernow are still alive.

As one of the off-shore rocks (Gull Island) was apparently used in the filming of the 1950 version of Treasure Island, it wouldn`t surprise me at all to come across Cap`n Smollett, Squire Trelawney, Black Dog, Long John Silver and Jim Lad.   It could indeed be a world where planks are still walked, timbers are shivered and mainbraces still spliced.   I may find out as in my piratical fantasy I call in the Spyglass Inn  with my pieces of eight for a Smuggler`s Lunch and a flagon of grog.  Ha Haarrhh!!

All being well, I`ll see you in a week or so.   If not, you know where to find me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please can you tell me where this photo was taken?

Snopper said...

Taken at Portscatho in Cornwall, looking towards Rosevine, where we stay each year, and Nare Head.