Search This Blog

Saturday, April 03, 2010

BUNNIES FROM HEAVEN?
In my perpetual innocence, I had always thought that Easter is a time for harmony, peace and reconcilliation as the spiritual world marks one of the most important times in the religious calendar. So it`s a bit disturbing to see the Anglican and Catholic churches falling out.
The Catholic church has been riddled with accusations of abuse by priests, especially in Ireland, although it might be that Ireland is the only case we`ve heard about. Anyway, they haven`t come out of it particularly well with allegations of cover-ups, reluctance to take action against the alleged offenders and now the Pope`s personal preacher coming out with lame duck statements liking the media`s criticisms of the Vatican to the persecution of the Jews in Hitler`s Germany. Meantime, the Archbishop of Canterbury has weighed in with his own condemnation of the Catholic stance, claiming that the Catholic church has "lost all credibility" over the way it has dealt with paedophile priests. It`s all very unedifying.
Now, I have to confess to being a bit of a religious sceptic. I have absolutely no idea whether there is a God or not, neither, of course, has anyone else. But those who follow their chosen religion do so out of a conviction that has so far escaped me. I have no problem with people believing in what they want to believe and I have no wish to offend anyone by my own uncertainties. But I`m just not sure about it all.
I have long held the notion that if, when I finally peg out, I get up there and find it`s all true after all, then I`ll be the first to apologise for having doubted it. For the meantime, however, I cannot escape the one conviction I do have, which is that whilst there may be an Almighty Being up there, I`m afraid His (or Her) representatives down here do not inspire confidence.
These latest antics between Rome and Canterbury remind me of two Premier League teams slagging each other off before a must win six pointer. And so I am also, once again, reminded of the wisdom of French philosopher and one time goalkeeper, Albert Camus, who once said, "All that I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football."
Now if you`ll excuse me, I think my Easter bunnies need some attention.

No comments: