Search This Blog

Sunday, April 11, 2010

MORE THAN THREE POINTS....

This beautiful photo was taken by someone who lives in my boyhood village of Hythe, on the western shore of Southampton Water. It captures exactly the scene I saw when I parked my car on Southampton`s Town Quay yesterday for my visit to see Saints play Charlton Athletic. What looks a bit like a block of flats emerging from the Ocean Terminal is, in fact, P & O`s new cruise liner, Azura. She arrived the other day following completion in an Italian yard and was awaiting her official naming, performed last evening by Dame Darcey Bussell, who cracked open a bottle of champers and doubtless wished God to bless her and all who danced in her.

The smaller craft in the foreground is the Red Jet passenger ferry from the Isle of Wight and, as well as seeing these two craft yesterday, we also saw the arrival of a huge container ship, at least as big as Azura, and also, perhaps anachronistically, a three masted sailing ship, as well as numerous other smaller vessels. It`s always a good place to be, Town Quay, with something always going on and plenty to see and we were blessed with a lovely warm Spring day to add to the enjoyment.

I say `we` because I had a passenger on my journey - a near neighbour who is father to one of Charlton`s players - and although he might have been disappointed with the result (Saints 1 - Charlton 0) I got the feeling that he enjoyed his day out and especially the sights to be seen from Town Quay. Quite often, a visit to Southampton to see the football is not just about three points and yesterday was certainly one of those days. I`m already looking forward to next time.

No comments: