Search This Blog

Friday, April 25, 2008


JANE 2 - 0 SNOPPER (After extra time)

"Claire Tomalin has also written perhaps the definitive biography of Jane Austen - another of my all-time favourites perhaps for similar reasons to those of my affection for Hardy, for I also have an affinity with places like Steventon, Chawton, Bath and Southampton and I`m not sure I want to see myself questioning Jane`s reputation or her legacy. So maybe I won`t buy it?"
Well, that`s what I wrote back on 19th March in my piece called `EYES WIDE OPEN` about Claire Tomalin`s biography of Thomas Hardy.

Having now just finished Claire`s impressive biography of Samuel Pepys, I found myself browsing the shelves of Waterstone`s the other day and happened to spot her book on Jane Austen. I thumbed through it, thought twice about the risk of my perceptions of Jane maybe being diminished by reading such an authoritative biography, but in the end I went for it, along with Bill Bryson`s book on Shakespeare, which seems lightweight in comparison.

There are things about Jane Austen that have long fascinated me. Three things really. First, the books themselves, many of which have been brought to life by recent film and television adaptations - the best being Ang Lee`s treatment of `Sense and Sensibility.` Next, the locations - not just for the novels but also as the settings for episodes in Jane`s own life, for I know and appreciate places where she lived and which she wrote about.

Lastly, there was the tantalising prospect of an unlikely family connection. My mother`s maiden name was Austen (spelt that way - not `Austin`) and so there had been mounting speculation as to whether I might cop for some hefty royalties if only I could prove the lineage. Sadly, I can`t, so it`s 2-0 to Jane, firstly for making me succumb to Claire` book and, second, for probably not being a long lost relative after all. Never mind, I`ll enjoy reading it anyway and, who knows, Claire Tomalin may just have unearthed an obscure reference that I might just follow up. I advise you, however, not to hold your breath. I am not holding mine.





No comments: