Search This Blog

Saturday, April 12, 2008


ALL`S WELL THAT ENDS WELL....ALMOST

Thanks to the generosity of good friends, I was offered the chance to go to The Valley to accompany them to watch yesterday`s brief encounter between Charlton Athletic and Southampton. This kindness caused me some anxiety, however, for it meant that I would have to sit in the Charlton seats. The horns of a dilemma confronted me.

On the one hand, I didn`t want to appear ungrateful for the very kind offer, which was genuinely appreciated. On the other hand, I had to ask myself whether, in the event of Saints scoring and taking an early lead (which they did) I would be able to sit on my hands and appear glum that the Addicks had fallen behind. Similarly, could I really bring myself to stand and cheer in the event of Charlton scoring an equaliser late in the game (which they did?)

The answers were, of course, obvious and so I politely declined the kind offer, which was accepted with understanding. So, the friendship is intact, which is valued and appreciated.

As to the game itself, the 1-1 draw perhaps did Southampton more good than it did Charlton. It meant that Charlton`s play-off aspirations were dealt another blow, whilst Saints progressed to the heady heights of 19th in the table - and their late season fight to avoid relegation goes on.

(Nigel Pearson in reflective mood)


Nige is a good guy. Once again, his team selection, tactics and substitutions seemed right for the occasion and his passion, commitment and determination are infectious. I just hope that the threat of former chairman and duck shooting buffoon Rupert Lowe coming back to haunt us with his promise to send Nige packing does not come to pass. That would definitely be interfering with play and bringing the game into even more disrepute.


 

No comments: