Search This Blog

Monday, December 03, 2007

Maidstone made easy
by
TRANSPORT OF DELIGHT

I thought it was about time I recorded some good news which befell myself and Mrs. Snopper yesterday. It makes for a pleasant change from my usual curmudgeonly rantings to be able to offer sincere thanks and congratulations to the local authorities hereabouts for their wonderful Park and Ride and bus pass services for senior citizens.

A few years ago now, we passed the age of eligibility for this free perk, got the application forms, filled them in, posted them back along with incriminating mugshots and a few days later, the free bus passes arrived. My own mugshot, in which I look unusually jolly, shows an uncanny resemblance to another well known senior citizen although I doubt you would see him on a Park and Ride bus going into Maidstone:-

A couple of days ago, I was chatting to our neighbour about Christmas shopping and she mentioned that she had gone into Maidstone last Saturday, parked in the new Fremlins Centre car par, stayed for about three hours and been charged nine pounds for the privilege. Extortionate.
Quite apart from the parking fees, there is the constant battle to find a parking space anyway, so the Park and Ride offers a sensible, reliable, hassle-free alternative.
So, well done local councils and the bus company for providing the bus pass and the excellent service which at this time of the year is especially appreciated.

No comments: