Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2007


WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN

The Red Funnel Isle of Wight Ferry, `Red Falcon,` drifts into Southampton`s Town Quay on a Saturday afternoon just before Christmas.

On board are good friends of mine, whose company I enjoy and whose friendship I value.

It being the last time we will meet up before Christmas, we look forward to our usual rendezvous at M. Hulot`s Patisserie for coffee and a convivial exchange of views to put the world to rights before trudging off to St. Mary`s Stadium for another afternoon of systemic disappointment. You see, the football has now, I suspect, become the excuse for us to meet and enjoy each others` company, rather than the reason.

Now, being an aged person struggling to survive on a fixed income, the season of goodwill can be troublesome for Mrs. Snopper and me. But not with friends like mine. For there, in the distance, I notice that one of them is carrying an enticing looking carrier bag. This is unusual - not the normal pre-match routine at all. What can it be? My heart begins to beat a little faster, the anticipation mounting with every step, for I have seen this happen only once before, when I was presented with a bag full of home-made almond slices around the time of Help the Aged Week.



When we finally meet, the carrier bag is handed over to me and my comfort and joy is complete as it contains a host of exceedingly good mince pies, which had been lovingly hand reared that very morning, so that Mrs. Snopper and I will not want this Christmas.
I am touched by the thoughtfulness and obvious concern shown by this act of spontaneous kindness, for which I am truly thankful.

No comments: