Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2021

 

FULL CIRCLE...

No-one was more pleased than me to see the New Zealand cricket team becoming ICC World Test Champions following their eight wicket win in the final over India yesterday.   I have long been an admirer of most things Kiwi and before you think I`m just jumping on the bandwagon of their latest success, maybe I should explain the context for my delight at their win.

Back in the Summer of 1949 my parents took me to the old Hampshire County Cricket Ground at Northlands Road in Southampton, where Hampshire were playing the New Zealand tourists in a three day first class cricket match - the first one I ever saw.   I still remember their opening partnership of Bert Sutcliffe and Verdun Scott, their captain Walter Hadlee (father of Sir Richard) and it was a day that cemented my interest in cricket, in Hampshire cricket and in New Zealand - not a bad introduction to the truly beautiful game for me at the age of just ten. 

And in a kind of long distance, vicarious way I have followed their progress ever since - the ups and downs, the triumphs and disasters, the players who have come and gone over those 70+ years and it is in the last couple of years, of course, that they have reached arguably their highest levels of performance.   Two years ago they lost the limited over World Cup Final to England at Lord`s in what was the most dramatic way possible - a run-out on the last ball of the super over denying them the victory but they took it in good part, no histrionics, no complaints despite perhaps having cause for one or two to be lodged, nothing other than a dignified acceptance that sometimes these things happen.

And so against that background, yesterday the redemption came for them in a game that, thanks to the vagaries of the English Summer, went almost to the end of the reserve sixth day.  As ever, New Zealand were modest in their victory, India were themselves dignified in their acceptance of defeat in a game that exemplified the true spirit of cricket at the highest level.

So yesterday provided something of a landmark in my cricketing experience, not only because it was New Zealand but also because the Final was played at Hampshire`s new, spanking Ageus Bowl - not too far from Northlands Road but 70 years away from my tentative introduction to what cricket is all about.   Another full circle of life completed.

No comments: