Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 02, 2007


WELL, AT LEAST I`VE TRIED IT

Thanks to the promptings of one or two friends, I have had the dubious privilege of having not one, but two accounts on Facebook.


Have a look at what it says above - "a social utility that connects you with the people around you." So, these friends of mine signed me up and off I went, delving into the `must have` world that everyone has been raving about.


And what did I find? I found it was inhabited by the same friends I knew anyway and an awful lot of people I had never heard of or met in my life. It got me thinking that if I wanted to connect `with the people around me,` I could use any of the following:-
Telephone
e-mail
Private message on internet forum
snail mail
mobile phone
semaphore
alldis lamp
morse code...and so on....


.....and, who knows, I might even be able to actually meet them and have a real face-to-face conversation. The beauty of each of the above alternatives was that I was able to limit the communication between selected friends and acquaintances without a whole load of complete strangers getting in on the act. I value my privacy. And I really, really don`t need perfect strangers taking it upon themselves to send me `virtual` gifts. Honestly!

 
So thanks, but no thanks. Quite apart from the fact that there may be cases where Facebook can be a useful form of communication (although I can`t think of any) and despite the fact that it might just be a bit of fun (and I have no quarrel with that either) my experience has left me with the notion that Facebook might just be the last refuge for the terminally desperate. I`m not quite ready to join them just yet......but at least I`ve tried it.

1 comment:

Wurzel said...

Well said that man.