Search This Blog

Friday, June 04, 2010


LIFE`S RICH PAGEANT...
This photo was taken just a week ago today. The church of St. Tallanus sits on a hill above Talland Bay in Cornwall and Mrs. Snopper took this picture as we were sitting on a bench in the chuchyard. It`s not just the view that is so special but also the church itself.
Now, friends that know me also know that my religious `beliefs` are a bit limited and I work on the basis that if and when I ever get there and discover that there is a Heaven after all, then I will be the first to apologise for any doubts I may have had. But that philosophy doesn`t stop me being interested in church architecture or church history and the visit to the church at Talland Bay did not disappoint.
Talland Bay is even these days a small, isolated place so the church was never built to serve a large community, but to maintain a holy site where the Christian faith had been established in Celtic times some 1500 years ago, hence its isolated location. The present altar stands on a ley line on the site of the original Celtic altar, built by the `Saint` or Holy Person who established faith in Jesus Christ here so very long ago.
The church has many outstanding features, quite apart from its glorious location. For example, the tower stands in an unusual, detached position linked to the main body of the church by a long covered porch but the great possession of the church is its collection of carved bench ends, among the finest in Cornwall. They date from about 1490 and show a quality of craftsmanship such that on the central bench end on one side of the south aisle has been written, "...the style and excellence of the carving reveal a craftsman of skill and artistic talent..."
So you see, it is possible for even a cynic like me to be captivated by the location and features of an exquisite church and the week that has passed since I was there has, once more, shown the extremes that life`s rich pageant has to offer. The contrast from the peace, tranquility and reflection of St. Tallanus and his hill to the vibrancy, "the skill and artistic talent" of Mark Knopfler and the glories of the Royal Albert Hall has made for a memorable week. And although I`m still not sure which of its two highlights has been the most memorable, I suspect I know which will be the most enduring.


No comments: