Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2008


MUST TRY HARDER
I`ve just got the local paper - the `Kent Messenger` - and it`s full of pictures like the one above showing gaggles of squealing girls after they have found out about their exam results. Nothing unusual for the Kent Messenger, which seems to run almost weekly `features` like this one. Last month it was the school `proms.` Next week, the Kent Messenger is holding out the prospect of another bonny baby competition (how can you possibly judge things as beautiful as babies?) and before long we will have pages devoted to the cuddliest pet contest.
I really don`t know why I buy it each week. On the other hand, it`s handy to keep tabs on the obituary column - if my name isn`t there, then it means I can keep going for another week at least. Maybe I should be grateful that there is so little hard news here in deepest Kent that the local paper has to resort to filling its pages with predictable, repetitive dross.
Anyway, back to the squealing girls. Now, I`m seriously blessed with two grandaughters. One is sixteen and the other 14. They are both bright, attractive, good fun and a credit to themselves and their parents - I`m very proud of them and I like nothing more than to be in their refreshing company. The`re doing well at school and have already collected an impressive array of exam results. However, I have yet to see their photos in the local paper, which concerns me. It indicates that they might not `do` squealing, so they have a lot of work to do on their squealing techniques between now and this time next year when they will be opening yet more exam results. Like the Kent Messenger, they really must try harder.

No comments: