Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2007






JUST LIKE WAITING FOR DEMOB.....


One of the most important things to do when called up for National Service was to produce a demob chart. There were various `templates` for doing this but they all had the same objective, which was simply to provide a square for each and every day which would be crossed out as the 731 days of conscription reduced. (My National Service lasted an extra day because of a leap year.)

I have been impressed with the techno-wizardry of fellow bloggers who have downloaded graphics which show a continual countdown to one of their special events. For example, my good friend Wurzel (see link below to Wurzel`s Thoughts blog) has a countdown going on to his wedding next year.

Not having the techknowhow to produce one myself, I`m afraid you must take my word for it that there are `only` 32 days to an event I am looking forward to with much enthusiasm. Yes, folks, the shortest day on 21st December will mean that winter`s corner has been turned and with each subsequent day the light will begin returning - slowly, almost imperceptably, but returning nonetheless.

Towards the end of my National Service I had mixed feelings about leaving. I had made good friends with whom I am still in touch after more than 40 years so, whilst keen to escape the clutches of the military, I approached the final day with some reluctance as my demob chart entered its final straight....but I have no mixed feelings at all about wanting the shortest day to arrive and be gone. 32 days to go......and counting.

No comments: