Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2021

 


 ONLY A WHIMSICAL NOTION..

Very sorry to learn of the passing of Mike Nesmith.  He is of course remembered chiefly as a founder member of The Monkees who, as a manufactured band way back in the day, found world wide fame and fortune.   His leaving us, peacefully in his sleep at home at the age of 78, means that Micky Dolenz is the last surviving member of that group.

But there was so much more to Nesmith, principally as a gifted songwriter in his own right and I do recall that, about 35 years or so ago, one of my sons bought me a Cassette (remember them ?) of Mike Nesmith`s album `The Newer Stuff.`   I played it and played it in the car and was captivated by the invention, the skill and the imagination that went in to his lyrics about a whole range of places, subjects and emotions.

Perhaps the best known of that album is `Rio` in which he said that it was `only a whimsical notion to fly down to Rio tonight. I probably won`t fly down to Rio.  But then again I just might.`  




Another case of `Thank you for the music.`


No comments: