Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

 


Well, the weekend`s football has certainly banished the parrot sickness from last time I felt compelled to muse about it.  Last time it was all gloom, this time it`s as though at least some of the stresses of life have been lifted.  Not sure why I care so much about 22 players running around a field trying to kick a pig`s bladder into an onion bag, but I do - it`s just another tiny insight into my immaturity, I guess, but at my age I`m entitled to a second childhood.

Anyway, I had to wait until last evening for the weekend programme to finally come to an end but it was worth the wait as Southampton picked up another three points away at Brighton, despite not playing terribly well, but ending the weekend in fifth place in the Premier League. So I`m over the moon, as they say.

Elsewhere in my endless quest for the fortunes of other teams I follow, Gillingham managed a 2-0 home win over Swindon Town, so my neighbour is also over the moon, as they say. Truro City made the perilous journey to Portsmouth to come away with a 5-1 hammering of Moneyfields (yes, really) in the FA Trophy.  Forest Green Rovers picked up a very creditable 1-0 win away at Harrogate to go third in League Two, thanks in part to our street`s local hero Scott ("Count the calories") Wagstaff ensuring the three points with a 91st minute cameo which brought all his experience to bear in helping his chums see out the victory.

At last the Railwaymen on Stoke Gabriel are back in business following the Covid lay-off but their return to league action saw a 6-0 defeat away at Plymouth Marjon, which was something of a moral victory but which left them rooted to the foot of the South West Peninsula Division One East with a goal difference now standing at minus 188.   Maidstone United picked up a useful 2-2 draw away at Dorking Wanderers despite being two goals down in the second half but, sadly, Fort William`s encounter away at Fraserburgh was again called off `due to waterlogged pitch.`


But all in all an over the moon weekend.  No wonder I slept well last night.


No comments: