Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

 

I know the rest of the world is going bonkers but there`s really no excuse for the world of sport to follow likewise.  For example, I see that the International Olympics Committee (IOC) has decreed that `sports` such as break dancing and climbing up walls are to be included in the next Olympics, wherever and whenever that might be.   There`s also the inclusion of another `sport` which involves running around and jumping over an assortment of architectural features in various cities - the name of this bizarre pastime escapes me - but it makes me wonder how long we have to wait before other recreational activities are included.  Maybe dog walking, sheep shearing, pheasant shooting and those old standbys vole strangling or even barbed wire hurdling?

I stopped watching the BBC Sports Personality of the Year some time ago and I`m so glad I missed seeing this year`s edition which took up most of BBC 1 on Sunday evening.  There are so many problems and issues surrounding that annual fol-de-rol that make it utterly avoidable.  I am suspicious of the fact that the short list of candidates is apparently drawn up by `an expert panel`  chaired by the Director of BBC Sport, one Barbara Slater and including representatives of the sports industry, sports press and others.  It`s clear that they are determined to come up with a list of candidates that tick all the right boxes, demonstrate diversity and achieve the level of political correctness for which the BBC is infamous.

So I also begin to wonder where the `personality` bit comes in since quite often the candidates who emerge from the BBC`s tortuous process do not always have much of a `personality` anyway.  This year`s winner, Lewis Hamilton (of course) may be a whizzo racing driver but he comes across as someone of another world, another place, even another time.  I struggle to detect a personality that might win a personality contest, but maybe it`s just me.  Anyway, one of the conditions to be selected as a candidate is that the person `shall be resident in the UK` and last time I looked Hamilton was alive and well and living it up in Monaco.

And of course there is the spectre of Gary Lineker fronting it all and that in itself is more than enough to give it a miss.

I guess I`m just miffed that Danny Ings didn`t even get short listed.

No comments: