Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2020


 REAR VIEW MIRROR...

Well, it`s that time of the year - the quiet, dull interregnum between the festive conformity of Christmas and the turn of another year.  I think it was Alan Parsons who wrote a song about the turn of a friendly card and after 2020 has finally had its way with us we could do with a friendly turn and perhaps - perhaps - we might have some things to look forward to in 2021.

And it seems `traditional` to use these few grim days to reflect on the year just ending and look forward to what next year might bring.   So here goes....

.....but first a little self indulgence.  You see, some months ago I conducted a poll to determine whether I should keep on with this blog or whether my dear reader had had enough.   I was touched by the overwhelming support I received which encouraged me to carry on and I`m pleased I did because as the year progressed there seemed so much to go on about. 

But on a personal level the year, like for so many other people, has had its ups and downs. We had a holiday booked for April in the New Forest but, thanks to Mr. Covid, that got cancelled and has been rebooked for next April - well, we`ll see.  We did manage a week in west Dorset with some family comings and goings, which made for a welcome change from the months of restricted activity.

Similarly, but much more importantly, our eldest granddaughter was due to get married in November but Mr. Covid put paid to that as well.  The wedding has been rearranged for next April so we`re all hoping it can go ahead then and that, by then, the restrictions imposed by the pandemic might at least be lifted enough for a happy family day.

Speaking of pandemics, the anti-Covid vaccinations are allegedly being `rolled out` and, being of a certain age, I am expecting the call to go and get jabbed;  I`ve obviously missed out on the first batch so maybe 2021 will begin with me having the first of the two vaccinations that will be needed.  I seriously cannot understand those who are refusing to be vaccinated - maybe, like Spain, HM Gov. should keep a secret list of those refuseniks?

I`ve missed going to the cricket at Canterbury, I`ve missed going to the football at St. Mary`s and I`ve been saddened by the loss of some good friends and some well known departures including Diana Rigg and Peter Green.  I do the occasional `obituary` - there are 35 of them throughout these pages and I`ve been looking through this year`s posts and if I had to pick one out that I have been most pleased with then I think it would be this one from last January.......

https://snoppersays.blogspot.com/search?q=Tommy+Pinkham  (to view, please highlight the link, right click and there`s an option to `go to....)

Seems to me that the trials and tribulations we are currently experiencing are as nothing compared to those which were experienced in the days of Tommy Pinkham`s heroics.  


No comments: