Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2019



Not a good week to be a Kiwi.   Having lost the cricket world cup final to England on Sunday, thanks to an inexplicable change in the rules of the competition and some dubious on-field umpiring decisions, it just gets worse for New Zealanders who now find themselves `robbed` of one of the world`s most prestigious records.

Until now, the undisputed steepest street in the world has been recognised as Baldwin Street in the Otago city of Dunedin, with a gradient of 35% but now residents in Harlech, in Gwynedd, North Wales, are celebrating after Guiness World Records verified the gradient of Ffodd Pen Llech at 37.5%.  Campaigner Gwyn Headley said, "I feel utter jubilation - I feel sorry for the New Zealanders but steeper is steeper."

Hamish McNeilly from the New Zealand website Stuff said, "I`m angry about a lot of things in the world this week but this has just ruined my week. I`m not going to get over this, as it follows the cricket which also made me angry.  It`s a bad week,  It really is."  He added that a street in San Francisco was now understood to be taking the record away from Wales.

As for me, I feel a lot of sympathy for our New Zealand friends but they should still rejoice in the fact that they have produced the world`s best rugby team, a decent cricket team, Sam Neill , Dame Kiri te Kanawa, Sir Ernest Rutherford, Edmund Hillary and Crowded House.   Not bad for a country of just five million souls..

No comments: