Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Is this the real life?  Is this just fantasy?

Now I`m not one who is usually seduced by fantasy - I like to think I`m pretty `normal` and not prone to flights of fancy but I have to confess to an odd chain of events which I have just experienced.

A week or so ago I recorded a programme on Sky Arts which was a documentary about the life of Peter Green (pictured) - one of the founding members of Fleetwood Mac The documentary was originally made in 2007 or 2008 so it`s at least ten years old but what fascinated me about it - apart from the unforgettable music - was to see how, after a life ravaged by drugs and psychosis, Peter had mellowed into his advanced years.  He`s 72 now and the photo above is of course a million miles away from the youthful images he portrayed in his prime.

So, having finished watched the documentary last night, I go on to YouTube and watch, time and again, his haunting masterpiece, `Man of the World.`   I can`t get it out of my head, as Kylie might say.  

This morning I wander up the road to the local shop, buy my newspaper and as I go out of the door, a man arrives that I hadn`t seen before in the village.  We look at each other, nod  almost knowingly and I`m left with the distinct feeling that I knew who he was.  I`m convinced it was Peter Green and perhaps my conviction was confirmed when I saw his car - a pretty old Vauxhall something - with the personalised number plate which included PRG and an Essex connection. (I won`t give the full number for obvious reasons.)  And it was green.   

I should have hung around and asked him who he was but I thought better of it - he might not have taken kindly to the intrusion and if it had been Peter Green I`m pretty sure he would not have wanted his privacy invaded.

Maybe the whole thing was a fantasy after all; maybe I was imagining it but I can confirm that I was not under the influence of any fantasy-inducing substance.  Anyway, just to round it off, here`s the great man in his prime singing one of his sublime songs from those days now lost in the mist of time but forever in the memory.........






No comments: