Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 06, 2018


///


60 YEARS ON...

This is an interesting photo - for me, anyway.   It shows the old cottages lining St. John`s Street in Hythe.   Sixty years ago it was but a small village on the western shore of Southampton Water and it`s where I spent my boyhood years.   A good place to be growing up - our cottage was just down the road beyond the big white house and we lived there until the early 1950s when BOAC closed their flying boat maintenance base and we had to leave the village for my father to find alternative employment elsewhere.

But the memories of that place and that time stay with me and 60 years on I still look back with fond memories of happy days and good friends, despite the ravages of post-war austerity.   I wasn`t aware of any austerity as such, as I had only ever known how life had been during the war years after which rationing of all kinds of things was still with us.

One of my good friends was William (`Billy`) Scammell, sadly no longer with us but remembered as one of this country`s finest post war poets, editors and critics.   He and I spent those formative years alternating between school, the Solent shore and the New Forest and maybe it was because of those places that we both developed a kind of inbred affection for what was home for us.   Bill went on to encapsulate those feelings in some of his finest work - his collection of published poetry and prose contains references to Hythe that will be familiar to those, like me, who know it so well.

But Bill was about more than sentimentality and some of his poems are concerned with deeper issues.  Perhaps the best illustration I can give is `Remembering the Great War` which has been used for study in degree courses and which, of course, is very relevant as the nation remembers the centenary of the end of the first world war........

Opaque and resonant as sacred texts 
the names alone sound out a litany:
Passchendaele, Ypres, the Somme. Verdun......

Some dropped perfect but for a sweet
smudge of gas - others, dispersing, spanned
earth in the wildest hug.

Men flashed hissing to their elements
like spit gobbed on a stove.  One officer
in nomansland apologised to his troops

behind for lasting in such loud low screams.
Four men unwound their lives to staunch
his uproar - failed, like the concerted knuckles

hammered round his teeth.  Gowned neutrally
for christenings, deaths, history thumbs
its cheap editions, weltering in echoes.

I think of Sassoon`s tall heart, contracting
fiercest love for his own men, one of whom
shot him from excess of zeal;  of Graves`s

stretched contempts.  The fires they grazed rot down
in village squares.  On memory`s floor words rut
and root, nosing blind and ghastly at the tongue.

The photo above was taken from the churchyard of St. John`s church and its bell will surely ring out in solemn remembrance as I was once, only once, honoured to ring it to call Bill and my other boyhood friends to afternoon Sunday school.   That`s what we did on Sunday afternoons all those 60 years ago.   I wonder if it happens nowadays.




No comments: