Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

QUACK TWICE...AND ASK FOR ROSIE..

Spent some time in Canterbury today.  It`s a big touristy place what with the Cathedral and all that - queues of foreign students waiting to go into the Cathedral (£10.50 for adults, so I declined gracefully.)   What I did notice was an apparent absence of `comfort stations,` `public conveniences,` or just plain loos and so when `my moment` arrived I had to ask some gentlemen who were working for Kings School if they could point me in the right direction.  The kindly let me use their `facilities,` for which I was most grateful whilst they volunteered the information that `the Council have closed most of them down.`   Such a sense of corporate responsibility in a city whose economy must surely rest largely upon attracting visitors.......

Anyway, I noticed this and couldn`t help photographing it as it reminded me of something rather touching.   In Dylan Thomas`s `Under Milk Wood,` Rosie Probert announces herself thus : "Rosie Probert, from thirty three Duck Lane, Jack.  Quack twice, come on up and ask for Rosie. "

Maybe Canterbury isn`t such a long way from Llaregub after all.........


No comments: