Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

TESTING TIMES..

So, Ronnie Biggs has departed at last, which surprised me as I genuinely thought he had done that some time ago.   No matter - and although I am sorry to learn of anyone`s passing, I`m not sure I`m quite prepared for the outpourings we`re about to have concerning this career chancer.


Already, the BBC teletext service has a 25-page (yes, really, 25 pages) obituary and I imagine plans are being drawn up for a special edition of Question Time to be screened from Rio de Janeiro, where Biggs found his spiritual home.   As well as Chairman Dimbleby and 140 BBC staff being flown out on business class, I guess the panel must surely include `Mad` Frankie Fraser (assuming he`s not dead either,) the inescapable Yasmin Alibhai-Brown and her whining opinions about everything, former Met. Police Commander Reg (Snaffles) Balsam and possibly Saints` Brazillian midfielder Guly do Prado, as he`s out injured anyway.


But the real test will come this evening, when the first of a two-part drama about the Great Train Robbery is due to be shown.   I wonder if it will still be allowed to go ahead, or cancelled out of respect for the memory of this paragon of virtue.  Wouldn`t surprise me.


No comments: