Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

HELLO !!

Had a phone call yesterday from the dental practice, reminding me that I have an appointment today to see angelic dentist Louise.   The young lady who rang was most apologetic that their SMS service was down, hence the phone call. 

I confess I had to ask what an SMS service might be, since I suspected it might be something to do with St. Mary`s Stadium, but it turned out it was a texting service. Possibly.  I think my problem with communications these days is that there is just too much of it and far too many ways to get in touch with people.   I don`t know just how many, but I`m vaguely aware of Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, now SMS, e-mail, snail mail, Skyping, mobile and good old fashioned telephone.   One thing that really annoys me is the constant reference to `apps,` which I take to mean applications but people seem too lazy to use the proper word - I might have thought an app could be my appointment today - why not indeed?

It`s all a bit daunting.   I don`t `tweet,` I have a Facebook page that someone else set up for me a few years ago, but I just don`t go there. I tried texting years ago on a hand-me-down mobile inherited from a granddaughter, but failed dismally and anyway it made my thumbs ache. So I`ve come to rely on e-mailing people, ringing them up or the much preferred option of actually meeting them and speaking face to face.   I`ve noticed how dangerous tweeting has become, as Kevin Pietersen has found out to his cost, thank goodness, which confirms that my Luddite view of steering well away from all this stuff might turn out to be pretty sensible after all.

So, instead of worrying about which form of communication I should be using to say hello you`ll forgive me if I just say goodbye, as the beguiling Louise and her magic drill awaits.


No comments: