Search This Blog

Sunday, August 05, 2012


LOSING IT ?

Went to a cash machine a couple of days ago.   Stuck my card in, menu came up, needed to tap in my pin number or whatever it`s called these days.

Stood there, knew the numbers, just couldn`t remember the order they came in.   After a couple of goes, I had to give up.   Walked away feeling a bit daft, if not a bit anxious.   Then as I wandered around in my senior daze for a while, I thought I would give it another go.   So, back to the cash machine, stuck the card in, and in what seemed to be an involuntary reflex action, I found I had tapped the right numbers in.


Now, I`m very good usually at remembering long numbers, like the 13 digit phone number of someone I regularly ring in Hamburg, so I don`t know why I had trouble with just this 4-digit one.  Am I beginning to lose it?  Is my memory going?   After all, it wasn`t long ago that I couldn`t remember what amnseia means.


But the really strange thing is that whilst I was having my senior bungle, I felt a bit like Eric Morecambe as I recalled his `interesting` attempt trying to play Grieg`s Piano Concerto.   You remember - when he played all the right notes but not necessarily on the right order.   Here`s a link to that wonderful sketch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7yb-JncKow.   Enjoy.

I knew the numbers of my pin OK....it was getting them in the right order that made me wonder if I`m heading for that blissful state of ignorance, so beloved by those in their second childhood.   Not that I ever left the first one.



No comments: