Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2012


HAVEN`T WE MET BEFORE ?

I`m pretty sure we have.   Let me think now.  Ah, yes, of course.   The Republican Party Convention in Tampa, Florida, where Ken lookalike Mitt Romney, aided and abetted by the Barbie-esque Ann, has won his party`s nomination to take on Barrack Obama in the upcoming Presidential election.

It`s really too depressing.  Once again the absurdity of American politics was laid bare before the eyes of the world.  We had the hootin` and hollerin,` the dyslexic placards, the bells, the whistles and the balloons.   And we had Mitt (whoever names their son Mitt?) all spruced up, gleaming teeth, Grecian 2000`ned and delivering the kind of rant to the assembled devotees that again could only have been delivered in the land of the free and the home of the brave.   For it`s more showbiz than politics, more cult of celebrity than reasoned debate, more rhetoric than measured policy.

Now I confess to being pretty ignorant about American politics and I suspect I should care more about it than I do and I am by no means in any position to `take sides` in the forthcoming contest even if I was so inclined.   But when I hear that Mitt is promising to `get tough with Eye-ran` I start to worry.   And I also begin to detect that we`ve met that kind of raving posturing before.   Let me think now.   Ah, yes, of course.   Here he is:- 



As I say, I know nothing of American politics but I do know that whoever becomes the next President will have a huge influence in the kind of world we will be living in, even here in the good ol` U of K.   So, if I may, I will bow to the cult of the celebrity but hope that a more restrained, dignified leader of the western world might re-emerge rather than the synthetic central casting wannabe placed before us in Tampa yesterday.

No comments: