Search This Blog

Sunday, July 08, 2012


SHOW ME....

So, British hopeful Andy Murray has failed in his quest to become the first British Men`s Singles Champion at Wimbledon in 76 years.    And it says much about our attitude to those fabled twin imposters that the nation is paying so much more attention to failure than it does to the triumph of Jonathan Marray becoming the first British player, along with his Danish partner Frederik Nielsen, to win the Men`s Doubles at Wimbledon in, errr, 76 years.

I`m not sure about tennis.   I used to play it, along with squash and table tennis, but after a series of crushing defeats I failed to see the virtue in playing any game that, no matter how hard you hit the ball, it kept coming straight back again.   And when it comes to watching Wimbledon on television, it strikes me as being yet another vehicle for the BBC to squander £millions on a huge cast of reporters and commentators, a lot of whom are American has beens and most of whom we can do without.   So, like the snooker, I tend just to watch the last remnants of the final, since everything else that has gone before has been rendered irrelevant.

Anyway, Andy Murray can go back to being Scottish again now and, as the old saying goes, "Show me a good loser and I`ll show you a loser."  

No comments: