Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011


A HANGING OFFENCE...

I was sorry to learn that Prime Minister David Cameron thought it necessary to cut short his holiday in Cornwall and return to Downing Street.   We`re told that he did so in order to chair a meeting to discuss the present situation in Libya.   Whilst that sounds plausible, I suspect that he was more anxious to be seen taking whatever credit he can for Britain`s part in the toppling of Gadaffi, rather than staying in Cornwall and letting his Deputy Nick Clegg hog the limelight.

But, once a PR man, always a PR man I guess.   I have to be honest and say that if I were in Cameron`s shoes (Heaven forbid) wild horses would never drag me away from Trebetherick simply to have a pose in front of the cameras.   And in any case, I would most definitely think twice about entering No. 10 now that the frightful Tracey Emin has responded to Cameron`s request for one of her `works` to become part of the Government Art Collection.

And here it is, pictured above.   It`s just a neon sign saying `More Passion` and is apparently hanging just outside the Terracotta Room in No.10.   It would, I suspect, be more at home in Al`s Diner or that Transport Cafe on the A2 which alleges that it is frequented by `the rich and famous.`

But what is really alarming is that Emin`s `work` has an estimated value of £250,000, which instantly recalls one of Harry Enfield`s sketches whereby dimwitted airhead young ladies enter his affected bijou shop and quite happily buy bits of rubbish for exhorbitant prices.   But at least I have now discovered that there is a `Government Art Collection,` which I take to mean that it`s ours really as the collection, including Emin`s pretensious mediocrity, has been built up using taxpayers` money.   I`m surprised there wasn`t a consultation period or even a referendum to decide whether we really wanted to be saddled with such tosh.

It all reminds me of Christmas, as for years now I have long suspected that the Christmas cards sent out from the Prime Minister, Government Departments, Quangos, Councils and the rest of the public sector panoply are all paid for by us taxpayers too.   In which case, it`s about time I received one.

1 comment:

Snopper said...

I certainly don`t begrudge him his hols - quite the contrary; he has a young family, a stressful job and needs to get away from it all. His problem is that being in a coalition he can`t risk staying away when `events` happen.

Like the Emin anagram - most apt, especially the inclusion of A & E, which is maybe what Cameron needs right now.