Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

FAITH RESTORED...
Sarah and I had a long day yesterday for our round trip of 440 miles or so to go to Exeter University`s Open Day. We left a bit early and got there in good time to have a look around, check out the halls of residence, pick up loads of information and Sarah went off to her pre-booked talk about the history courses run by the university. I would have liked to listen in on that but grandfathers were not allowed in, as priority was quite rightly given to prospective students.
We came away having been thoroughly impressed - inspired, even - by all that we saw and heard and I think Sarah`s hopes have risen along with her determination to get the necessary grades to give her a chance of going there. An open mind must still be kept, though, as she still has visits to make to Southampton, Norwich, Nottingham and Exeter`s very tempting Campus at Penryn near Falmouth in Cornwall. I think we both got a lot out of yesterday.
As for me, as I dropped Sarah off back at her home, I had a couple of my own reflections on the day. The first was that I am only now beginning to realise what I missed by not going to university myself. Half a century ago, the chances of going on to places like that were limited in the extreme and I had to settle for the university of National Service - a two year course leading to a degree in advanced self-preservation and applied cynicism. My other emotion was just what a joy it was to be able to enjoy my grandaughter`s company for a whole day. Just the kind of thing to keep me young at heart.
Gourmet Corner
Following the KFC debacle on our way back from Reading last week, my reputation as a connoisseur of good food and my faith in the excellence of gourmet English dishes were restored when we visited the Little Chef at Chicklade in Wiltshire on the way home. After studying the exhaustive menu, we both plumped for their "pieces of chicken breast in a light crispy coating with bacon served on a bed of mixed leaves and ripe tomatoes, served with vinaigrette and a light crusty white roll." Washed down with a chilled coke straight from the cooler. Cordon this time tending towards the blue end of the gourmet spectrum. Who could ask for anything more to round off a memorable day?

No comments: