Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 03, 2009



FULL CIRCLE?...
My three sons are now all in their 40s and maybe it`s a sign of me getting older but I often think wistfully back to the days when they were young enough for me to read them a story in bed each night before they went off to sleep. This was a family ritual which meant that my sons knew each and every story by heart, but woe betide me if I misread a sentence - I would have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. Just one of the perils of fatherhood.
Their`library` was a bit limited, but there were the Noddy books and some Ladybird books but one particular favourite was `The Inquisitive Elf.` Unsurprisingly, it was about an elf who was inquisitive....but I won`t spoil the ending for you.
In one of my wistful moments a few years ago, I began to search old bookshops, the internet, Amazon.com and other possible sources in order to try and buy a copy. My searches were, however, in vain and indeed, as one of my good friends explained, if the elf was that inquisitive, then one day he would find me.
Eventually, some months ago, another good friend had spotted the availability of a copy on the internet and he quickly alerted me. I was able to make the purchase and a copy in very good condition arrived safely in the post. I read it again and, after all those years, the words came back as if they had never been away. I`m pleased to report that one of my sons owned up to remembering it - the other two choosing to remain `cool` on the subject as they looked at me despairingly in response to my renewed enthusiasm.
Now I guess the reason for me telling you all this is to confess to the fact that, even now, I refuse to grow up. Can`t see the point of it. Life`s too short and the world too tragic to be taken seriously. In my enduring wistfulness and as tempus continues to fugit, maybe I cling to the thought that, one day, someone might be reading stories to me. If they do, I`ve got just the book for them.

3 comments:

Thursday said...

Was this the inquisitive elf who went through the green door and was held captive by the witch? I've just 'found' you having Googled The Inquisitive Elf in a quest to find a copy, my own much-loved and tatty one, long gone.

Snopper said...

The very same. He eventually made his escape but vowed never to be so inquisitive again. "And I`m pleased to say that he kept his word."

I managed to get my copy via either E-Bay or Amazon.com. I wish you well with your quest - like mine, it sounds like one that is heartfelt.

The Splund said...

Wow, I don't remember the Witch!. I occasionally hunt for the very same book - was outbid on eBay once and have never found it since, though it is actually listed on Amazon.