Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

THE NEWS THAT REALLY MATTERS..
I haven`t gone on too much lately about Southampton football club, partly to save my neighbours from feeling any worse than they already do, but also partly because there has been an air of uncertainty about all things Saints over recent weeks.
It started round about the time of the JPT final at Wembley, when speculation rose concerning the future of manager Alan Pardew (pictured) and has grown since, fuelled by media reports that Pardew was about to get the sack. I have been concerned that this might happen for all kinds of reasons, mainly to do with the fear of going back to the bad old days when Rupert Lowe would sack any manager who didn`t agree with him, when what we really need now is some long overdue stability.
Also, I couldn`t understand or accept the logic that suggested sacking a manager for failing to achieve promotion in his first year, despite starting the season with a 10 points deduction thanks to the aforementioned Lowe, not having a pre-season at all, not winning a game until the season was a month old and not having had the chance to build either a backroom staff or a team on the pitch until well in to the season.
The last few days have seen a welter of media `stories` about Pardew`s imminent sacking, disenchantment shown towards him by the club`s owner and chief executive and speculation about where Pardew might be off to and who might come in to take his place at St. Mary`s. But today, thank heavens, the chief executive, Nicola Cortese, has come out and issued a long and comfortingly upbeat statement decrying all the media nonsense and making it clear that Pardew is going nowhere and that the future is indeed bright and red and white.
I should think so too. For we have had our most enjoyable season in years, revelled in a spectacular day out winning at Wembley, finished just one place off the play-off spots and conceivably would have been promoted anyway had it not been for Lowe`s negative ten points. So, with my keen eye for the real priorities of life and after a week of what might laughingly be described as more important news - General Election, political horse trading and all that - the news that really matters to me and thousands of other Saints fans has finally arrived this morning. There, that`s better and you`ll be relieved to know that I won`t mention Saints fc any more until next season. Possibly.

2 comments:

Hurting slightly less of Leybourne said...

Neighbour, save me no pain, my footballing agony is soothed by the pleasure of those around me in our little corner of Kent. Saints will walk the division next year, even if burdened slightly by my money resting on their ample talent. And, of course, very best of luck to the young man round the corner. Twelve months ago he and his gang accompanied me and my gang to Wembley. Me a nervous wreck, him a casual observer. How pleased would we all be in this neck of the woods to see him going back, this time very much part of a squad, in front of a possible Wembley sell-out. That's what football can do, so rejoice all you wish neighbours, it will soothe my pain, not add to it.

Snopper said...

A very commendable attitude, HSLOL. Now I`ve found my way to Wembley it would be good to go there again and casually observe the young man round ther corner. I hope the Robins make it for the sake of restoring some of our street`s cred, although I still think it was a mistake for him to turn down our offer to become his joint agents.

Glad you`re hurting slightly less - time is a great healer - possibly.