Search This Blog

Sunday, October 04, 2009


MAYDAY, MAYDAY...
Well, my next door neighbour didn`t have to find his own way home and he doesn`t have to move house after all. A 4-1 humbling of his Gillingham team by a rampant Saints side at St. Mary`s yesterday finally hauled us out of the ten points penalty and into positive territory. Mind you, we are still anchored at the bottom of the league but yesterday`s performance gives real hope that Saints can climb to a position of respectability before too long.
Apart from the result, I think my neighbour enjoyed his day out and I showed him some of the sights of the imposing and historic city of Southampton on our stroll to and from the stadium. The return fixture at Gillingham`s Priestfield Stadium is not until 1st May next year. My neighbour has kindly offered to return the compliment by showing me the sights of Gillingham, encaptured by the picture above showing their expectant fans en route to Priestfield through the captivating environs of that beguiling Medway Town. I can hardly wait.

2 comments:

Wurzel said...

It's a real shame that you can travel down together, enjoy the "delights" of the town together, travel back together, but regulations deny you the chance to actually sit and enjoy (or endure) the match together. I guess the Football Intelligence Officers still have you down as a marked man after you were monitored as being the ringleading organiser of that infamous "meet" with the blue few at Hulot's before the Pompey Derby.

And to be fair to "that beguiling Medway Town" (although I've no idea why I'm being fair, never been remotely near it), had you parked in the top of London Rd/Lower Avenue area of town and headed for the ground you'd have taken him through an area that looks very similar to that photo.

Anonymous said...

Gillingham supporting neighbour here.

I did enjoy most of the day on Saturday, other than 3pm to 4.50pm. Pleasant day out was had. Wurzel, you're kind of right on the shame of us not sitting together. I could have endured the game incognito, but the kid in me forced me to wear my blue KRBS sponsored nylon Gills shirt and be vocal in support of the boys. Friendly banter with the locals across the no-mans land at the back of the Northam(?) stand kept our spirits up until the scoreline bordered on the embarrasing.

Please don't be fair to the Medway towns, they don't deserve it!

UTG