Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008


A FLYING VISIT....

OK. So, Flying Disc Man from Mars arrives here in the good ol` U of K this weekend and must surely have concluded that it is indeed a funny old world.
First, he discovers that he has arrived at a propitious time, for in less than a month the greatest show on Earth will begin. The Beijing Olympics will be interesting not just for the competition but also for a couple of sideshows. I wonder what the smog situation will be. I wonder what the reaction to any demonstrations will be. And I wonder whether Dwain Chambers will be there. For the sake of the doubtless majority of genuine participants, I hope the credibility of the Games is enhanced, but there is still a danger that they will continue to be seen as little more than a contest between chemists, former drug cheats and the inevitable lawyers.

Flying Disc Man may have found it difficult this weekend to miss the publicity surrounding the affairs of the Church of England - one of the planet`s great religions. Now, I have no wish to enter into a religious debate with anyone, for my attitude is best summed up by my promise to be the first to apologise should I get up there and discover that it`s all true after all. Good friends of mine are, however, regular churchgoers and I admire them for that. But as one who hovers on the brink of seeking salvation, I might - just might - think twice as I see the schism caused by the arrival of the Gay Bishop from New Hampshire and the ongoing controversy over the ordination of women priests. If I have no problem with Him Upstairs, but I might just have a few with His representatives down here.
And in the meantime, whilst these internal wrangles occupy their hearts and minds, there seems to be a lack of even comment, never mind leadership, from church leaders as the problem of knife crime and other social problems go unchecked.
Please click on image to enlarge
There was, of course, so much more to confuse, annoy, puzzle, dishearten and depress this weekend, but Flying Disc Man, like me, might have taken some comfort in the 5-2 demolition of Basingstoke Town and the 4-0 drubbing dished out to Winchester City by a Saints team which is clearly flattering to deceive in its pre-season friendlies. And as a result, maybe also like me, Flying Disc Man`s concerns may have focussed back on to the real priorities of life in a strange weekend in a strange country in a world which has much to answer for.

No comments: