Search This Blog

Thursday, March 06, 2008





A LITTLE SELF INDULGENCE......


Now and again, things happen that make me wonder what it`s all about. As predictable as it was, I was nevertheless angry that the majority of our elected representatives saw fit to deny the people, as promised, the chance to have their say on the now discredited Lisbon Treaty.
It`s just the kind of thing that, had it not already happened, would bring politics into disrepute and it got me wondering what `political` decisions taken in recent years I might wish had not been taken. So, if you will make allowances for the fact that I have a mental age of about twelve, here are three very juvenile candidates:-
1. The abandonment of the pledge given in each political party manifesto to `allow` a referendum on the Lisbon `Treaty` (aka Euro Constitution);
2. The decision to go to to war in Iraq on a false and illegal premise; and
3. Alex Ferguson being made a knight of the realm.
Each of the above represent political miscalculations of enormous proportions and I fear we will suffer the consequences for far too long. In fact, I doubt we will ever be able to come to terms with any of them. And it`s really difficult to know which of these appalling bungles was the most catastrophic.
Well, I did say it was juvenile and self-indulgent.....a bit like the majority of our elected representatives.













No comments: