Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2008

"It`s a small world....but I wouldn`t want to paint it." So said the legendary Chic Murray.

And how right he was about things that happen to convince you that the world is, indeed, a small place. Just a couple of examples.

I`ve mentioned before that I spent most of my boyhood - my formative years - in what was then the small village of Hythe on the western shore of Southampton Water. I`ve lived in another small-ish village in deepest Kent - 130 miles away from Hythe - for over 20 years. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that our local postman (Ray) also comes from Hythe. I guess we both have walked down paths of life that have seen us both start out and arrive at the same place. Extraordinary.

Years ago, we went on holiday to Poole in Dorset. One day, we decided to take the boat journey across to Brownsea Island. It`s a remote, quiet, beautiful place, made even more so by the absence of people, except those who make the boat journey to get there. We decided to head off the beaten track and found ourselves alone on the south beach - or so we thought. Then I heard voices behind us. And there was a colleague from work - all of 200 miles away - and his wife.....and so there were four of us marooned in each others` company on this quiet shore on a remote island, miles from home. Extraordinary indeed.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Brownsea Island




But there`s more. Among my e-mails in the last couple of days was one from a guy allegedly researching one of the now demolished pubs I spent some time in during my late teens and another from a chap who was a relief operator of the AKC cinemas in Germany. He was after some information about the cinema I worked in whilst doing my National Service in the green hell of BFPO 16. Why should it be that I hear from people about places I knew nearly 50 years ago? I hope they`re not `spamming` me or my faith in the small world might be destroyed.

No comments: