Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2020

 


FEELING A BIT SICK....

A weekend to forget really.  As well a myself, I feel also for my long suffering neighbour, the well known Gillingham fan.   His team were in action yesterday in the FA Cup Second Round at home to Exeter City but sadly, despite a stirring fightback in the dying moments of the game, went down 3-2 thus missing the chance of a money spinning Third Round tie.  

As I write, I am recovering from the mental health issues brought on by Southampton also losing 3-2 at home this afternoon against a resurgent Manchester United.   Despite being 2-0 up at half time, the Saints were pegged back in the 92nd minute by Edinson Cavani`s winner.  I should not really be too disappointed, as that defeat brought an end to Saints` seven game unbeaten run and still leaves them fifth in the Premier League table.  But if there is one team that I hate to lose to, it is Manchester United - ever since the Fergie days they have exuded an air of entitlement and arrogance which encourages disaffection.

No matter, for I can look back on times gone by when the Saints have managed to overcome them, notably being at St, Mary`s about 20 years ago when James Beattie`s towering header in the 88th minute encouraged me to celebrate by driving home via Portsmouth with my Saints flag billowing defiantly from the car window.

In other news, Forest Green Rovers didn`t have a game as they were already denied a place in the FA Cup this weekend;  Stoke Gabriel and Truro City have yet to resume hostilities in their respective leagues, as fixtures are on hold thanks to Mr. Covid;  Fort William were due to play their first league game of the season yesterday but that game was postponed `due to waterlogged pitch;` and I can find no trace of Maidstone United having played this weekend either.

So it`s all a bit disappointing.  No wonder I feel a bit like that parrot.

No comments: