Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2020


NO CONTEST...

The photo above shows the Apollos astronauts off in the moon buggy to collect samples of moon dust and gravel.  It was a successful mission and one which brought universal admiration of the courage, skill and tenacity to make it an extraordinary achievement.   

Now you may be wondering why I have chosen to write about this.  Well, I confess to have been interested in things to do with space, time, the universe and everything.  I guess it`s having an enquiring mind but from boyhood I have been fascinated and continually puzzled by the subject.  I remember even as a boy I was asking questions about the universe and the enormity of space and time.  For example, I pondered about the boundaries of space and time - when you reached the end of space, was there a big wall with a sign saying `End of Space, Turn Back?`  But if there was nothing beyond that wall, the surely in that case nothing becomes something and space just keeps on going.  I`m sure there is a sensible explanation but has it been proven?  You get my drift.

Over many years, I have followed the Apollo Missions, the first moon landing, the drama of Apollo 13, the confirmation  of black holes, the Hubble Space Telescope and the construction of the International Space Station.  And just recently, of course, the successful docking of four astronauts to spend the next six months carrying out experimentation to further enhance mankind`s understanding of the universe. (I go along with the notion that mankind`s continual intellectual development is part of the process by which the universe can understand itself. But then I would, I guess.)

In a recent conversation with my youngest son we touched on the UK`s contribution towards this greater understanding and he recalled the insights, the wisdom and the philosophy behind the approach taken some years ago now by the television series `Modern Toss.`   In that series there were episodes of a recurring theme describing what happens when arguments break out between the UK astronauts and with ground control.

I will include just one brief episode by way of illustration but before revealing it I should apologise for any unfortunate language that you may hear;  it is, however, central to the context of the piece but if you feel you are likely to be offended then please do not click on this link.   If you do want to run the risk, please highlight the link, right click and an option appears to `go to`..... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w2zL1qCtVU

 No contest, I`m sure you will agree.  Two final thoughts.  The first is that I have clearly brought my son up in the right way and despite being in his 50s he still retains the family penchant for enquiring minds.

Lastly, another apology.  Earlier on in this post I referred to `mankind` once or twice.  I do apologise for this oversight and I accept that I should have referred either to womankind or personkind or maybe even just kind.  I hope you will forgive my use of `outdated language.`
  

No comments: