Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

A FAVOURITE HAUNT....

Having spent a memorable boyhood on the edge of the New Forest I always enjoy going back and revisiting old haunts.  One of my favourites is the village of Beaulieu and I took this photo on a tranquil afternoon looking across the lake towards Palace House, home of the Montague family and the renowned National Motor Museum.   I had an uncle who lived at nearby Blackfield and worked in the museum once he had retired from whatever it was he used to do.  It was a long time ago.

The whole village is quite fascinating, if just a touch `olde worlde.`  Just across the road from where I stood to take this photo, there is a very interesting garage selling sought after classic cars at sought after classic prices although I detected an air that the proprietor might not welcome penniless time-wasting riff-raff.  In the village car park there is one of the country`s most agreeable and welcome `conveniences.` There is a splendid cafe which does extraordinary cakes, an old fashioned sweet shop and a good riverside walk all the way to Buckler`s Hard which I often think must be rather nice for Mr. Buckler.   I really must get back down there again...........

(Please click on photo for larger image)

No comments: