Search This Blog

Friday, April 06, 2012


FOILED AGAIN !!

Yesterday was Maundy Thursday, another in a long line of quaint English days and it`s the day when the reigning monarch dishes out money - "alms" -  to `deserving senior citizens.`   The coins are distributed in red and white purses, shown above.   The white purse contains currency in the amount of one penny for each year of the Sovereign`s age - this year 86!  The red purse contains regular currency and is given in place of food and clothing.


Now, I`ve been a `senior citizen` for quite a few years now so I was intrigued to find out how the senior citizens are chosen to receive the royal `Maundy Money` and it seems that the whole thing is actually a religious service in the Church of England, held on Maundy Thursday, the day before today - Good Friday.   Years ago, quite reasonably, recipients used to be chosen for their poverty and as such were entitled to receive the Maundy money for life.   These days, predictably enough, new recipients are chosen each year for their service to their churches and their communities, on the recommendation of clergymen of various Christian denominations.


All of which clearly explains how I am continually overlooked, since my religious philosophies do not sit comfortably with the established church.   It`s really quite simple.   Like everyone else, I have no absolute certainty of an omnipotent being but if I eventually get up there and find it`s all true after all, then I`ll be the first to apologise.  And although I may have no problem with the ultimate disclosure of the omnipotent being`s existence, I`m afraid I do have a problem with his (or her) representatives on earth.


And so I guess I will continue to be foiled in matters of the Maundy handout, especially as I struggle with the contradiction of sending `Happy Easter` cards to people when I thought the whole Easter business was about a crucifixion.   How happy is that?


Have a nice weekend!

No comments: