Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012


ABSENCE OF MALICE ?


There`s a memorable scene in Sydney Pollack`s 1981 masterpiece, Absence of Malice, when an Assistant US Attorney General, James A Wells, played by the wonderful Wilford Brimley, turns up at the Miami Courthouse.   He`s there to investigate whether false evidence has been planted in the local newspaper designed to incriminate someone entirely innocent and whether, if so, the newspaper and the local District Attorney`s office have a case to answer.

During his inquiries, it comes to light that the DA`s office might have leaked a story to the newspaper, which then published it, which prompts James A Wells to declare, "You had a leak?  You call what`s goin` on around here a leak?   Boy, the last time there was a leak like this Noah built himself a boat!!"

I was reminded of this exchange yesterday when I heard the news that we here in deepest Kent are to be hit with a hosepipe ban from 5th April, due to the drought conditions as a result of months of unseasonably dry weather.   Now, we get our water supplied by a private company called South East Water.   They just supply it but it costs me about £350 a year.   Another private company - Southern Water - takes the water away in the form of sewage or highway drainage, for which I cough up about another £400 a year for the privilege.

I have just paid the first half year`s installment on each of these bills, but I did so reluctantly, especially as  Water Companies across the country are responsible for leaks which amount to a staggering 3,356million litres of water lost each and every day.   They`re not my figures, they`re from Ofwat, the water industry regulator.  I`m surprised Noah hasn`t been in touch.   

The legal definition of the hosepipe ban means "they cannot be used on gardens, plants, cars or boats for "recreational use"; to fill or maintain ponds, pools or fountains; and to clean paths, walls, windows or other artificial outdoor surfaces," so I might reasonably expect a rebate as the service I`ve paid for has been reduced, but I`m pretty sure I won`t get one.   

So I guess I will just have to shrug my shoulders and put up with it, but it seems to me that the ban, the £1,000 fine for transgressing it, the reduced service, the absence of a rebate and the appalling level of leakage all point to the fact that the customer once again with these utility companies comes a poor second to the profit motives for their shareholders.   James A Wells might call it malicious.

No comments: