Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

TWO WORDS....

Went to B&Q yesterday to get some stuff.  As ever, there was a long queue for the one checkout that was actually working.   It reminded me of the Karma Sutra method of dealing with queues in Banks - lots of different positions, but only one of them works.

Anyway, when my turn came, the pleasant and helpful lady at the till asked, "Could I interest you in a couple of Royal Wedding gnomes?" pointing to the collection of rather woebegone Kate and Wills lookalike gnomes next to the till.   "I`m afraid you can`t," I replied, but I went on to enquire whether anyone had actually bought any.  "Not yet," came the answer, "but we`ve been set a challenge by the management today to sell as many as we can."   At which point, whilst feeling deeply sympathetic, it took all my powers of determination to resist.   But resist I did.

It seems these gnomes were especially commissioned by B&Q for the Royal Wedding and I found a website which is promoting them.   Among the details, it claims that "Cute and adorable are just two words one can use to describe the rosy cheeked gnomes."  

How about naff and tacky?

No comments: