Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

TWILIGHT DAYS
I`ve been retired a few years now and I`m the first to admit to being among the fortunate. I`ll just get the cliches out of the way. I worked my socks off for years, did as well as I think I could for my family and for those who employed me, had many highs, lows and bits in between, enjoyed a lot of what I did, got a lot of satisfaction out of much of it, met some good people who are still friends, but.....when the chance came to retire, I took it with hardly a backward glance.
The initial adjustment from work, pressure, daily challenges, was difficult at first, but time made me realise that there is a life beyond and I`ve found some of it. Nothing too spectacular, just a gradual settling in to a different routine but one which I can dictate rather than having it dictated to for me. Big difference. And it brings a sense of freedom - liberation almost - to go places and do things that suit us. By and large, life is gentle, undemanding, but surprisingly full. Voluntary work, playing golf, following sport, seeing friends, having holidays, blogging, keeping fit and all the things that need doing, ensure that each and every day is different. It`s odd to use the word `holidays` in the context of someone who is retired anyway, so I suppose I mean time away from home in places we enjoy being. Off to Cornwall again next month....but why not? I`ve worked out, I think, that to enjoy retirement, you have to keep the body moving, the mind active and have things to look forward to.

Photobucket
As I say, I am among the fortunate ones and I know it only too well. My body still works, my mind is as inquiring as ever and I have much to look forward to. I suppose my only real regret is that time is passing much too quickly - a good sign of a full and active life, I imagine. The twilight days may at last have arrived, but the sunset can wait a while yet.

No comments: