Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

G`DAY...
Today, 26 January, is Australia Day and might well be the cause of much dancing in the antipodean streets. I don`t know enough about the feelings there are down under about the day that commemorates the arrival of the first fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788, the hoisting of the British flag there, and the proclamation of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia. But I can guess that the feelings might be mixed, as some cling on to the colonial heritage whilst others are sure the time has come to finally break the ties with Britain and others still remember that they are occupying 60,000 years of homeland.
I have some sympathy with both of the latter, but whatever I may think is immaterial. What matters is what the Australians collectively want for themselves as being best for all of them and I would like to believe that, whatever that turns out to be, then the British establishment will go along with. I think I may have been strengthened in my sympathy that the time has come for a definitive decision by the appointment of Baroness Amos as Governor General - an overtly poltical appointment of a waspish personality rather than anyone of compelling stature. The Australians deserve better.
So, on this day, how - if at all - is it being marked here in `the old country?` The short answer is hardly at all, which is pretty unforgiveable. The History Channel are showing a two part Irish documentary about the failed Burke and Wills expedition (well, Burke was Irish) and the Biography Channel are treating us to the life story of Nicole Kidman, who bears a remarkable resemblance to my optician.
All of which seems a pity, when one considers the contribution Australia has made throughout its history since that day in 1788, not least being their unswerving commitment to providing fighting forces in all the major conflicts over the past two centuries. And it seems strange to `honour` the failure of Burke and Wills and not recognise the achievements of John McDouall Stuart in being the first to cross the dead heart of that land from south to north and to return safely having blazed the trail for the route of the overland telegraph and the vital link that the Stuart Highway has become. But then as an unlikely member of the John McDouall Stuart Society, I guess I`m biased.
For now though, I wish my antipodean friends and correspondents a g`day and extend my best wishes and admiration for a culture and a society that, in truth, could teach the old dogs over here a few tricks. We could learn - if only we would listen.

No comments: