Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

THE HUNGRY YEARS...
I was at a function last night and met a chap who had just sold his business and retired. He had a small chain of shops mainly along the north Kent coastal towns, one of which was at Birchington. We got chatting and he said he was retiring to Minnis Bay (pictured,) which is very close to Birchington.
Minnis Bay was where we had our first family summer holiday, well over 40 years ago now. Our eldest son was about three, our middle son was about one and our third son was simmering nicely in the oven from whence he would emerge as the following Christmas drew near. In those days, we had very little money, no car, but we thought we deserved a week away by the seaside, as much for the boys as for ourselves. So off we went, changing trains a couple of times and walking with two and a half children and all our luggage for the week piled in the pushchair from Birchington station down to Minnis Bay to find our holiday flat.
On the drive home from last night`s function, I got to remembering that first holiday and the real pleasure of being in Minnis Bay in a week of unbroken sunshine, just enjoying the beach, the sea, the sand and being together as a family. They were difficult times financially; one month I had to cash in my £7 worth of Premium Bonds to see us through, but it didn`t seem to matter and I looked back on that week with immense satisfaction, with much joy but also some regrets that those times that went by so quickly are now gone forever. I guess I miss those happy family times when we were just us and getting on with life, oblivious to the difficulties but content with just being and being with each other. The words of Neil Sedaka`s song came to mind:-
"I miss the hungry years
The once upon a time,
Those days of me and you,
We didn`t have a dime
Looking through my tears,
I miss the hungry years."
Such a shame we`ve all got to grow up. One day, I just might.

No comments: