Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2009

TEE HEE...
Most people don`t like Mondays and I confess to have been no different when I was at work, chained to the yoke of the nine to five and beyond. But retirement brings an altogether different perspective to most things, including Mondays.
During the latter stages of my working life, I used to drive to the office on Monday mornings and wonder what it would be like to be teeing off on the golf course at about 9.00am rather than facing the start of yet another working week. So one day - just that once - I did just that. Just to see what it was like. Now followers of this blog will know that I`m not very good at golf - possibly the understatement of the year - but I do enjoy being out in the fresh air, getting some exercise and, best of all, hitting something really hard. So I enjoyed all of those things on my naughty Monday morning but I also enjoyed the feeling of escape, release from convention, doing something that maybe I shouldn`t be doing, somewhere where maybe I should not have been. And it felt great. Monday morning, I thought, take that!
Now I`m in the depths of retirement, Mondays are different - no stress, no demands, no conventions to conform to - I have the freedom (more or less) to choose what I do and when and where. But I don`t play golf on Monday mornings any more. It`s as if I want to hang on to the memory of that clandestine morning all those years ago, whilst at the same time sparing a thought for the millions who do have to face another Monday and who might wish to be somewhere else doing something different. I do think about you, you see.

No comments: