Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009



A MESSAGE FROM ABOVE...
I suppose it was because he thought he should that Prime Minister Gordon Brown issued a statement from 10 Downing Street commenting on the plight of terminal cancer victim Jade Goody. At the end of the statement, he said, ""I wish her well and I wish her family well, and I know that the whole country will be worried and anxious about her health."
Well, I certainly don`t wish her any more harm than she already has and I sympathise with her family who are trying to come to terms with what is a tragedy for them, especially Jade`s two young sons. But I think it`s a bit much for our Prime Minister to declare that `the whole country will be worried and anxious about her health.`
My wife has a very close friend who has been battling with cancer for some years now, but she retains her iron determination not to give in to it, to remain cheerful and to continue to get as much out of life as she can. Because she has never been a `celebrity,` never upset anyone with mindless, racially motivated rants and never sought to make a fortune out of ignorance, sheer stupidity and avarice under the guise of `providing for her family,` she has not had the accolade of a statement from 10, Downing Street or the assumption that the whole country is worried and anxious about her health.
She is, however, much loved, greatly admired and hugely respected by her family and close friends and retains a compelling dignity which it seems can only be achieved away from the glare of Max Clifford-induced `publicity.` There`s some speculation that when Jade finally departs to the Big House in the Sky, then her family might be getting a message of condolence from The Queen. Buckingham Palace has refused to comment but has hinted that anything that might be done will be done privately. Small mercies, indeed. But then you, me and countless others know of cases equally, if not more, deserving.

1 comment:

Wurzel said...

I couldn't agree more. I haven't read a single word about Jade's unfortunate situation. I sympathise, as I would with anyone suffering a similar fate, but I don't know her so I have no interest in the story.

Mr Brown has set yet another dangerous precedent.I mean, how low will he now have to go down the celebrity ladder before someone gets offended by NOT being mentioned in despatches when ill? Coming soon, PMs question time discussing a third division footballer's latest injury.