Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009


WELCOME HOME LADS...
I have a friend I was in the Army with. I was even best man at his wedding. He was a regular soldier and I was hauled in to do my National Service and we met whilst serving in Germany with the 10th Royal Hussars in the early `60s.
I had an e-mail from him yesterday. He was very angry about the reception given to the returning Anglian Regiment when they paraded through the streets of Luton, only to be quite grotesquely `welcomed` home by a small group of about 20 Muslim extremists, carrying insulting banners and dishing out verbal abuse. I believe he has written his disgust to his local paper and posted his feelings on the regimental website....and good luck to him.
There were a few things about this episode that struck me. For example, I agree with freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but I also agree that it is right to criminalise acts which are likely to incite hatred. On which note, I had better be careful what I say.
Now, it`s one thing to criticise the politicians for taking us into war in Iraq and Afghanistan and I do so unreservedly, especially given the highly dubious legitimacy of the Iraq adventure in particular. But it is quite another matter to be allowed to hurl verbal and placarded abuse at returning soldiers who had no choice but to carry out the orders of their political masters. So far, the only arrest made in the Luton affair was someone who threw a packet of bacon at the Muslim protesters, which says a lot about the timidity of the authorities when faced with the prospect of having to deal with racial or religious discrimination.
I believe I may be right in suggesting that we adopt yet another example set by our friends down under. I recall former Australian Prime Minister John Howard getting it spot on over the Zimbabwe cricket tour debacle and I think it was current Prime Minister Kevin Rudd who gave out the clearest possible message about how immigrants to Australia should behave. He said - and I can only paraphrase - something along the lines of `if you come to our country, we expect you to abide by our laws;` `if you come to our country, we will respect your religion and we expect you to respect ours in return;` and, `if you come to our country, we will respect your culture and we expect you to respect ours too. And if you don`t do those things, then you are not welcome here and you will be free to leave.`
All good stuff. Seems to me we could do with a bit of Oz straight talking and a bit of antipodean backbone over here. I`m reminded of Anna in `The King and I` saying that if you become a teacher, then by your pupils you`ll be taught.

No comments: