Search This Blog

Saturday, February 02, 2008



SO WHERE`S MINE, THEN?

It`s that day again - 4th February. And each time it comes around, it brings back memories of the day 48 years ago now when I was conscripted into HM Forces, arriving on cue at Catterick Camp in North Yorkshire to take up residence in Bourlon Barracks, home of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards.

As the training regiment, they would attempt to turn me into a soldier throughout the following three months. And they met with some success, for, after a while, I found I could turn left and right and even turn around. Mind you, I needed to be shouted at in order to do it.

Now, the illustration (above) shows the National Service performed by the Women`s Land Army during WW2 and I have every admiration for the work they did. But it was all voluntary, of course. No conscription here, although I agree that the `encouragement to join up` must have been considerable.

I was very pleased to see last week that those heroic ladies had at last been awarded a medal for the service they performed for the country during those difficult times. Thoroughly deserved. But it was all voluntary, of course. No conscription involved.


Contrast that with the plight of us National Servicemen, who were simply yanked away from our day-to-day lives into at least two years of military service, whether we liked the idea or not. Now, I have to say that my own experience was `mixed` - I made friends then that I still have to this day and I saw parts of the world I might never have done. But, it was 731 days forcibly taken out of my life and I`m not sure I have ever forgiven HM Gov. for that.

So, I agree with the national campaign currently being waged to award a badge or medal to the National Servicemen to recognise the part they played in the service of the country, especially given the sacrifices they made in campaigns such as Malaya, Kenya and the Middle East.
As things stand, they and their families can, of course, purchase one from an enterprising medal manufacturer for the princely sum of £30.50 + VAT. It`s only redeeming feature is that it retains an image of Britannia, which will shortly be removed from all UK coinage after 300 years. If HM Gov. can make decisions like that, then I don`t hold out much hope for the postman turning up with something for me. So I may have to consider legal action for the psychological damage I feel sure I must have suffered as a result of conscription and which plays no small part in the ramblings which you see on these pages.






No comments: