Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2020


I`ve had a car for six years and done a fair amount of miles but just recently it has been showing signs of anno domini and developed some annoying issues - making funny noises when I turn the steering wheel, a tendency not to start in cold weather (a bit like its owner) and just, but only just, struggling through the MoT thingy.  So in a wild fit of irresponsibility I decided it was time to change it and get a new one.  (I`ve noticed with all my previous cars that there came a point when it just felt right to change it, however `attached` to it I might have got.)

So I picked up the new car on Friday and I`m seriously chuffed with it - starts fine, no funny noises, drives like a dream and is nice and comfortable even if I have yet to get my head around all the bells and whistles.  And what happens?  Along comes corona virus and with it the threat that us oldies - who in any case are struggling to survive on a fixed income in challenging economic times - are likely to be confined to barracks for anything up to four months as HM Gov. tries to halt the spread of the virus. Result? Sooper dooper, high tech, state of the art, ocean going, whizzo new car likely to be stuck on the drive for the duration.  Bloody typical.

Now over the past year or so I`ve had my eyes sorted out - entropion problem remedied, both cataracts seen to and new glasses purchased to ensure my 20-20 vision.  The difference has been remarkable and I am hugely grateful for all the superb attention the NHS has provided for me.

But as Spring arrived I realised I needed sun glasses, especially for driving, so I ordered a pair to the same prescription as my `ordinary` pair.  I had a call from the optician to say the new sunglasses were ready to be collected, so I got them yesterday, since when the sun hasn`t shined and, as the car might be stuck in the drive I might not get to use them anyway.  Bloody typical.

Now I realise that God Almighty might have a downer on me anyway, due to my inbuilt scepticism and my reservations about His (or Her) design faults concerning the human body, but I think these latest events might either constitute divine retribution for my sins or they might simply confirm my scepticism and reservations after all?

No comments: